The 200 hectares of Protoulis organic olive groves stretchover the mountainous and semi mountainous slopes over Plomari.
The company owns the only vertically integrated unit on the island with two olive oil production venues; one at Megalochori village and one at Trygonas.
The first Protoulis olive mill was established in Megalochori, the highest village of Lesbos with an altitude of 670 m spreading over an area of 600 m2 of covered spaces.
When the unit first started its operation it only had hydraulic presses, while today, after constant upgrading, it features state-of-the-art equipment with a cold extraction pressing capacity of 3.5 tones per hour. The olive oil produced is stored in stainless steel tanks of 500 tons while the maturing procedure takes place in perfect conditions of thermal insulation and light protection. The bottling and filling plant features one line for glass containers, and two more for tinplate containers.
In 2005, Protoulis acquired the second company mill at Trygonas, operating in one of the oldest olive pressing units of the island that was constructed back in 1928 by an American expatriate family. The old, traditional equipment is displayed inside the mill in a designated area where guests have the opportunity via the special video projection to be guided in English and German through the island’s great olive oil history.
Today, state of the art mechanical equipment of a cold-pressing capacity of 4.5 tons per hour is used in production. The stainless steel storage tanks have a capacity of 400 tons and are locally located at a fully controlled temperature.
The company is expanding and constantly, investing in new technologies and infrastructure. In 2013, it acquired a new bottling plant next to the old stone-built mill. This unit will exclusively produce the Protoulis top quality products, particularly the organic ones. These spaces cover a surface area of 1,000 m2 and house 350-ton stainless steel tanks with nitrogen in order to avoid olive oil exposure to oxygen.